Climbing on Reunion Island
Climbing in the Reunion island
Climbing is an other famous activity in the island.
Climbing is one of the possible sports to do on the island.
Reunion is a volcanic island. So there’s only volcanic rock here with numerous crags, ridges, and dykes that are propitious to climbing.
Adventures Reunion surrounds you around the most beautiful crags of the island in accordance with your objectives, desires, and experience.
We guide you in the most beautiful mountaineering tours (3 Salazes classic or integral ridje, Piton Maïdo needle, Snows Piton / Big Morne, High Dicke …), and in the most beautiful multi pitch climbs (Sugar Piton, Castle ..) in an amazing places only Reunion can offer you.
But also in lovely crags like La Montagne for one pitch climbs.
Who it will suit :
- Families (starting from the age of 6 years.)
- Groups of Friends / Individuals.
Required for activity :
Food and drinks, hiking shoes or trainers for the approach.
Price includes :
- VAT (Value Added Tax)
- Technical equipment (helmet, harness, descender, carabiners, climbing shoes…)
- Supervision by an “IFMGA Mountain Guide” and “climbing instructor” with 16 years of experience
- Professional liability insurance
3 climbing difficulty levels are available :
GREEN : Climbing or mountaineering routes and cliffs that don’t require climbing experience.
BLUE : Climbing or mountaineering multi pitch routes that require a little climbing experience (from french grade 5 in top rope).
RED : Long climbing or mountaineering multi pitch routes with a long approach requiring a good stamina.
Climbing for beginners and family in single pitch routes :
- Four hours : discover and learn climbing techniques in the beautiful crag of “La Montagne” (the Mountain) in Saint Denis de la Réunion.
Public : beginners / family with childs (starting from the age of 6 years.)
Rate : 40€ VAT included / person (35€ VAT included / person from 5 persons, 35€ VAT included / person for childs from 6 to 12).
3 Salazes (2132m) Ridge, a must do in Reunion island !
- It’s the ridge between the Cilaos and Mafate cirques, with 3 spectacular large volcanic rocks on its top : the “3 Salazes”. A magnificent view on the two cirques all along the route !
Public : Athletic adults and teenagers (starting from the age of 12 years.), because it’s a long route (10 hours round trip), no climbing experience required
Rate : 100€ VAT included / person
Click to see the 3 SALAZES CLASSIC RIDGE page description.
“Piton Maïdo” needle(2170m) and the “panoramic viewpoint Ridge” : The most beautiful “Mafate” panoramic viewpoint !
Depending on your level, you can choose between two routes.
All along these routes you’ll have a breathtaking view of the Mafate cirque.
Route 1 : “Clin d’oeil au défi”, no climbing experience required.
Route 2 : “Le fil du rasoir”, a climbing french grade 5 level in top rope is necessary.
Program: abseils, easy ridge climb, and multi pitch rock route.
Public route 1 : Adults and teenagers, no climbing experience required.
Rate route 1 : 220 € VAT included / person for 1 person, for 2 persons 110€ VAT included / person, for 3 persons 80€ VAT included / person, and for 4 persons 70€ VAT included / person.
Public route 2 : Adults and teenagers with a climbing french grade 5 (in top rope) level.
Rate route 2 : 250 € VAT included / person for 1 person, for 2 persons 125€ VAT included / person, for 3 persons 120€ VAT included / person, and for 4 persons 110€ VAT included / person.
Multi pitch routes in the “Piton de sucre”, Cilaos cirque :
- Numerous very long (300 meters) and all grades routes, on very good volcanic rock !!!
Public : Climber from a climbing french grade 5 (in top rope) level, children from the age of 10.
Rate : 220 € VAT included / person for 1 person, for 2 persons 110€ VAT included / person, for 3 persons 85€ VAT included / person, and for 4 persons 80€ VAT included / person.
Climb of the “Piton des Neiges (3070m) tall dyke”, Cilaos circus :
This awesome multi-pitch route is into the Reunion National Park, in a nesting area of endemic and protected birds (the “Pétrels de barreau”). That’s why it’s only open from 15 may to 31 august.
- It’s a wild climb on a basalt dorsal spine (300 meters long) on the top of the island, with a fantastic view all along the route. A bivouac on the higher summit of the island is necessary the day before the ascension.
Public : Climbers from a climbing french grade 5c (in top rope) level.
Rate for one and a half day : 500 € VAT included / person for 1 person, for 2 persons 250€ VAT included / person. Helmet, harness, and climbing shoes are provided.
“Piton des Neiges” / “Gros Morne” edge, Cilaos cirque :
This alpinism route is into the Réunion National Park, in a nesting area of endemic and protected birds (the “Pétrels de barreau”). That’s why it’s only open from 15 may to 01 september.
- This edge is THE alpinism route of the island. We must do it on a round-trip. It requires a good health condition. But what a marvelous viewpoint on the entire island !!! A bivouac on the higher summit of the island, or a night in “Piton des Neiges” refuge is necessary the day before the ascension.
Public : Athletic adults, because it’s a very long route, no climbing experience required.
Rate for one and a half day : 250 € VAT included / person for 3 to 4 persons.
Besides climbing and mountaineering we also have the possibility to guide you in other types of activities:
- lava tunnel